- New - What is Bid Extend?
- Why do I have to register?
- What are the benefits of registration?
- I registered and bid but didn't receive any confirmation emails. Why not?
- I'm having problems viewing pages. What's wrong?
- How do I search for and sort items?
- How can I get more information about items?
- Can I place bids before the bidding starts?
- Can I bid on more than one item?
- Why do I have to bid on a quantity of an item?
- Can I bid more than once on an item?
- Can I change or cancel my bid?
- Why is the amount entered as my bid not the same as the amount I submitted?
- How do I place a proxy bid?
- What is the Minimum Bid?
- Why is a credit card required to bid on some items?
- How do I know if I'm in the lead?
- How will I know if I've won?
- What are the advantages of paying for my bid online?
- I am the winning bidder on several items. Can I pay for them all at once?
- What methods of payment are accepted online?
- I don't want to pay for my item(s) online. What other options are available?
- Why are some items not available for payment online?
- Are taxes included in my bid or purchase price?
- I need a receipt for accounting purposes. Will I receive one?
- What do I do with the Item Certificate?
- I can't collect my item in person. What should I do?
- I misplaced my receipt/certificate. Can I reprint it?
- How do I know that my credit card information is secure?
New - What is Bid Extend?
The Bid Extend feature allows bidders to always have a chance to place a final bid in the final seconds of an auction. If a bid is placed within the last 3 minutes of an itemís closing time, the bidding for the item will automatically extend for an additional 3 minutes from the time of the bid.
Why do I have to register?
What are the benefits of registration?
By registering and providing correct contact information, including an email address, you will receive:
- Email confirmation of your registration.
- Email confirmation of all bids you place, for your records.
- Email notification if you are outbid by another bidder, to give you an opportunity to place another, higher bid, and remain an active bidder.
- Daily email updates with winning strategies, featured items, and other important information.
- Special offers and promotions, such as coupons, from vendors whose items you bid on.
- Email and/or telephone notification if you are a winning bidder as soon as the bidding closes.
- Option to pay online for your winning bid and immediately receive a certificate.
- Personalized certificate for items you win and purchase, for quick and easy redemption.
I registered and bid but didn't receive any confirmation emails. Why not?
You may have given an incorrect email address when you registered. You can check this by selecting Edit Profile from the menu on the right and verifying the information in the Email Address field. If you make a change, or even if you don't, click the Save Changes button. This will cause another confirmation email to be sent, which you should check your mailbox for.
If you use a web-based email service such as AOL, Hotmail or Yahoo, or any other email client, some emails may automatically be placed in folders other than 'Inbox' by automatic filters you may have in place - look in all your folders for emails from the online marketplace.
I'm having problems viewing pages. What's wrong?
- This site is designed for Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later and Mozilla Firefox 2 or later. If you have an earlier version of these browsers, you should upgrade to the most recent version.
- This website requires a web browser that supports and accepts 'cookies' (small pieces of information sent by this website and stored on your computer). Cookies are used to keep you connected to this site while you browse and bid. If you are having trouble using this website, it may be because your web browser is not configured to accept cookies. Below are instructions for configuring your browser to accept cookies.
Mozilla Firefox 2 or later: Select Options from the Tools menu. Open the Privacy tab. Ensure that the 'Accept cookies from sites' field is checked.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later: Select Internet Options from the Tools menu. Choose the Security tab. Click on the Internet zone (shown as a globe). There are 5 levels of security that can be assigned to the internet zone: High, Medium, Medium-low, Low, and Custom. Medium is the default setting and is recommended. Next choose the Privacy tab and set the privacy setting to no higher than Medium-High.
How do I search for and sort items?
- You can browse through the categories to view all items in selected categories.
- You can search for a specific item by Item Number (e.g. 101).
- You can perform a keyword search by item name, item description, and vendor name.
- You can sort items by clicking on a column header in your search results. For example, to sort items by Value, just click 'Value' at the top of the search results. Clicking once sorts in ascending order; clicking again sorts in descending order.
All these search options are available on every page in the online marketplace site, and on the Search page.
How can I get more information about items?
You can visit the sponsoring business to view and learn more about the item.
Can I place bids before the bidding starts?
No, bids are not accepted until bidding starts. However, you may pre-register to receive your User Name. You may also browse the items placed in the online marketplace and visit the sponsoring business to view and learn more about the items.
Can I bid on more than one item?
Yes, you can bid on as many items as you wish. Each item is sold separately from every other item, so you have the opportunity to win each item you bid on. You can track your bids by clicking the View Bid History button after logging in.
Why do I have to bid on a quantity of an item?
Some items are available more than once. For example, if you see an item listed with a quantity of 3, there are three of that item available in the online marketplace. When you place a bid, you can bid on just one of those items, or more than one, up to the quantity available. At the close of bidding, if you hold a high bid, the online marketplace will try to allocate as many items as you requested. For example, if there are 3 of an item available, and if the highest bidder requested only 1 of the item, and if you are the second highest bidder and requested 2 of the item, the highest bidder would receive one of the item and you would receive the remaining two. However, if you are the third highest bidder, and the first and second place bidders each requested 1 of the item, you would be offered only one of your two requested items.
Can I bid more than once on an item?
With the Proxy Bidding system, once you place your Maximum Secret Bid, there is no need to place repeat bids on an item. The Bidder Trust Committee will place bids on your behalf to keep you in the lead, until your Maximum Secret Bid is reached. However, if you are outbid (another bidder places a higher Maximum Secret Bid) or you wish to increase your Maximum Secret Bid, you can place another bid on the item. You can track your bids by viewing your personal Bid History on an item.
Can I change or cancel my bid?
No, once a bid is placed it cannot be changed or canceled. If you wish to increase your Maximum Secret Bid, you may place another, higher bid, which supercedes your original Maximum Secret Bid.
Why is the amount entered as my bid not the same as the amount I submitted?
The online marketplace accepts your Maximum Secret Bid as a proxy bid, then places a bid on your behalf at the lowest amount required to make you the leading bidder. For example, if the current leading bid is $150 and you place a maximum Secret Bid of $200, the online marketplace system will place a bid of $160 on your behalf ($10 over the current leading bid).
How do I place a proxy bid?
All bids you place are proxy bids. By placing a Maximum Secret Bid, you tell the online marketplace the most you are willing to pay for the item on which you bid. The online marketplace then places real bids on your behalf, in competition with other bidders, to try to win the item for you at the lowest possible price.
What is the Minimum Bid?
The Minimum Bid is the minimum amount the auction system will accept on the item at the time of your bid. Placing a bid for the minimum amount required DOES NOT ensure you will be a winning bidder. You must both meet or beat the Reserve Price on the item, and you must remain a leading bidder at the close of bidding, in order to win this item.
Why is a credit card required to bid on some items?
Some items require you to provide your credit card number as an expression of interest on your part in the item. When this occurs, your credit card is authorized with a $1.00 transaction. This is not a charge, only an authorization. You will only be required to do this once in this marketplace. Your credit card information is not retained.
How do I know if I'm in the lead?
Throughout the online marketplace website, you will see "Leading Bidder:" and a User Name (e.g. "Leading Bidder: KRB310") next to items. If you see your personal User Name, you know you're in the lead. If not, and if the current Leading Bid is greater than your Maximum Secret Bid, you may want to consider placing another, higher Maximum Secret Bid, to still try to win that item.
How will I know if I've won?
The Bidder Trust Committee will email or phone you as soon as possible after bidding ends, if you hold a Winning Bid for any item in the online marketplace. You can also log in to the online marketplace website after the bidding ends and check if you are the winning bidder on any items - simply select the Bid Payment link in the menu to both check and pay online for items you've won.
If I've won, how do I pay for and receive the item?
For most items, you will pay online at this website, or by telephone, with your credit card. Your payment is to the newspaper, which is collecting the selling price on behalf of the business sponsoring the item. Your payment is due immediately after the close of the auction. As soon as your payment is complete, you will receive a certificate to redeem at the business which sponsored the item. For some items, such as automobiles and real estate, you will pay the vendor directly. Please read your winning bid email notice carefully for payment instructions.
What are the advantages of paying for my bid online?
By paying for your bid online with your credit card, you will immediately receive your Item Certificate, which you may redeem at the sponsoring business to collect the product or service.
I am the winning bidder on several items. Can I pay for them all at once?
No, you must pay for each item as a separate transaction in order to receive an Item Certificate for each item.
What methods of payment are accepted online?
You can pay by credit card only.
I don't want to pay for my item(s) online. What other options are available?
You can pay by credit card over the telephone, or in-person. The phone number, address, and hours of operation are in your winner notification email.
Why are some items not available for payment online?
The sponsor of this online marketplace or the item vendor may require that payment be made in person for some or all items, particularly automobiles and real estate, where additional information is required from you or where the item must be registered or licensed.
Are taxes included in my bid or purchase price?
Taxes, if applicable to the item, are not included in your bid. Taxes will be calculated and collected at the time your bid payment is made, either online or directly to the item vendor. Taxes are calculated on your winning bid amount, or in the case of gift certificates, on the value of the item towards which you apply the gift certificate.
I need a receipt for accounting purposes. Will I receive one?
Yes. After your credit card payment is processed and verified online, you will be presented with a web page suitable for printing as a receipt.
What do I do with the Item Certificate?
You should take the Item Certificate issued online after your payment is processed to the sponsoring business indicated on the certificate to redeem for your item. Please wait at least one day after receiving your certificate to allow time for the vendor to be notified and authorized to release the item to you.
I can't collect my item in person. What should I do?
After receiving your Item Certificate, you may contact the sponsoring business for information about alternative collection options, such as a delivery service. Any costs incurred are your responsibility.
I misplaced my receipt/certificate. Can I reprint it?
Yes, after the close of the auction you can log into the auction website and select the Bid Payment option, where you will see a list of winning articles, providing the option to reprint your receipt and certificate individually.
How do I know that my credit card information is secure?
Your credit card information (name, card number, expiry date) is secured through encryption during transmission from your web browser to the auction bid payment website and server, and no credit card information is transmitted back to your web browser. Your credit card information is processed online through NetworkSolutions and is also secured through encryption during transmission to NetworkSolutions. Once your payment has been processed (in real-time), your credit card information is not stored in the auction bid payment system.
You can verify that security is in operation by clicking on the NetworkSolutions Secure Site Seal on the payment pages, or by using the following procedures:
Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Right-click on the page and select Properties from the pop-up menu.
- Notice that the Connection is via Secure Socket Layers (SSL) and specifies a level of encryption from 40-bit to 128-bit.
- Notice that the URL field contains the "https://" prefix, indicating the use of the secure hypertext transfer protocol.
- Select the Certificates button and verify the digital certificate issued by NetworkSolutions.
- Right-click on the page and select View Page Info from the pop-up menu.
- Select the Security tab at the top. Click on the View Certificate button on the page, and verify the digital certificate issued by NetworkSolutions.